The need to lose a few pounds has more than likely affected all of us at some time or another. Even my slimmest of friends sometimes say they would like to drop a pound or two.
We all know that diet and exercise are the key factors to weight loss. But what happens when you hit that plateau? Do you fall of the band wagon or look for some help to get you through it?
There are many weight loss supplements on the market, one of which is Hydroxycut.
Let’s have a look at what it is and if it can help?
What Is Hydroxycut?
Hydroxycut is a brand of weight loss supplements1 .
It claims to help you metabolize carbs, fats and proteins. It also states it will help you burn calories and give you fast-acting energy.
The company claims this product will:
Help you keep up with your busy lifestyle, so you can reach your goals your own way and feel amazing
The product was developed by Muscletech Research and Development in 1995. This company was bought by Iovate Health Sciences, a Canadian based company, in 2004.
Whilst Muscletech declared bankruptcy in 2005, Iovate still use the name for marketing and branding.
This product has a chequered history. Early formulation contained Ephedra. This drug was banned by the FDA in 2004 because of its serious side effects.
In 2009 the product was recalled as some ingredients were linked with hepatoxicity. This is the medical term for liver damage caused by a medicine, chemical, or herbal or dietary supplement.
The formulation has been changed.
The company states it is the number one selling weight loss supplement. Over 100 million bottles have been sold.
It is worth noting that there have been reports of serious side effects with the new formulation.
We will take a look at the ingredients in a moment.
This company produces a number of weight loss and energy boosting supplements.
There are 19 different products categorised as:
- Weight Loss
- Premium Weight Loss
- Non- Stimulant
They include products targeted mental focus and energy. There are also products targeted specifically for women.
The products come in capsule form, as well as powdered drinks, gummies and drops.
The company website has features which can help you track your weight loss and plan your meals.
They also have an app with many useful features. These include meal plans, exercises, fitness and nutrition tips and recipes. You can even set reminders to take your supplement.
There are variations on the ingredients of these products depending on which one you choose. The ingredients are categorized into blends within each product.
The Hydroxy Weight Loss Plus Blend contains:
Robusta Coffee Extract (200mg)
These are unroasted green coffee beans. Recorded clinical trials indicate that green coffee extract can promote weight loss. The full effects however are not known and it is suggested that further trials are necessary2 .
Apple Cider Vinegar
May help reduce obesity 3.
Plums have antioxidant and anti allergic properties. Their consumption is linked with improved cognitive function, bone health and cardiovascular risk factors4.
This fruit is high in fiber and antioxidants. It may reduce hunger and help with weight management5.
One study on rats has shown this may reduce overall cholesterol6.
The product also contains what it calls Naturally Sourced Energy. This comes in the form of:
This supplies 200mg of Caffeine. This is a natural stimulant. It may help in a reduction of long term weight gain7 .
Some of the products also contain:
This may increase fat loss during exercise8.
Some of the products also contain Vitamins B6, B12 and D. Supplementation of these vitamins may help reduce homocysteine levels during weight loss. High levels of this amino acid may be linked to increased risk of heart problems.
How Does Hydroxycut Work?
This is a blend of several different ingredients that the company claims leads to weight loss. They base most of their marketing around the main ingredient, Robusta Coffee Extract. They cite a study carried out on this ingredient.
In this trial , people taking Robusta Coffee Extract for 60 days lost an average of 10.95 lbs. Following a low-calorie diet.
There has been no clinical study on the efficacy of this product as a whole.
There are specific instructions as to how you should take this product:
- To assess individual tolerance, for the first three days, start with one (1) caplet taken with a glass of water two (2) times daily, approximately 30 to 60 minutes before your 2 largest meals.
- Do not exceed two (2) caplets in a 4-hour period and/or four (4) caplets in a 24-hour period.
- Do not take within 5 hours of bedtime.
- From day 4 and beyond it advises 2 caplets twice a day.
Hydroxycut Side Effects
I expect you may have been wondering about this following the information provided about the company.
The company stance is:
Hydroxycut is safe to use by healthy adults when taken as directed on the label.
Most of the serious side effects were based on the older formulations of this product.
It is also worth noting that there are still clinical studies as recent as 2017 citing adverse side effects of this product.
Some of the individual ingredients may cause side effects. In particular caffeine. These include insomnia, jitteriness, anxiety, digestive issues, muscle breakdown and high blood pressure.
As with any supplement if you are unsure about how it may affect you, check with your physician.
Hydroxycut Reviews & Complaints
Iovate Health Sciences USA Inc. is registered with the Better Business Bureau. It has an A rating with only 4 complaints logged.
There are several thousand reviews of the products from this brand on Amazon. Across all products, except for two, they score 4* or above.
The flagship product, Pro Clinical Hydroxycut has 3188 reviews. 70% of which are 4* and above.
The reviews I have looked at are the most recent ones which should be based on the new formulation.
There are many people who are very happy with the weight loss they have achieved using this product.
I like these because of the energy and the total lack of hunger when taking them! Definitely good for losing some weight. With the help of these as well as diet and exercise I’ve lost around 50 lbs.
Many people comment about the extra energy this supplement gives them. Some also find that it suppresses appetite. Some people comment that it has helped them get past a weight loss plateau.
Ashley Chase reports:
I was definitely skeptical about using a product like this but I am very happy so far. It curbs your appetite but still provides you with energy to get through the day. Adding this in during cutting is the extra boost I’ve needed to move past a fat loss plateau. I would definitely recommend over other fat burners as it works without the negative mood side effects or nausea I’ve felt with those.
There are others that have found that the supplement does not work for them at all.
I have tried a ton of diets and this has really done absolutely nothing for me- and yes…with working out. I’m not a fat girl by any means. But I wanted to lose a few lbs. It made me sick and I fought with nausea consistently. I stopped taking them and actually started losing weight with the same stuff I was doing WITH the pills.
There are many people who report unpleasant side effects. They include nausea, dizziness, sleeplessness, anxiousness and weight gain.
Ginger Spice writes:
Causes horrible side effects: Severe headaches and nausea, dizziness, agitation, irregular heartbeat, and feeling like you will pass out upon standing up. None of the improvement in energy levels they promise. I have only felt weak and ill suffering through the side effects. Modest improvement in weight loss, but with these side effects, don’t know if it’s worth it. Sadly, there are no shortcuts to weight loss. Diet, exercise, and persistence is the only way.
Hydroxycut: Packages, Prices & Where To Buy It
Below you can see the latest prices from the official website.
However we are recommending to buy Hydroxycut supplements on iHerbs.com where you get a special discount.
Shipping and Handling is free on purchases over $19.99.
Shipping and Handling is $5.99 on purchases under $19.99.
The website has a handy quiz you can take to help you decide which product is right for you.
See below how the official site looks like.
The company will accept return of unopened, unused product in its original condition.
It must be in its original packaging.
The product must be returned within 30 days.
You would be responsible for shipping and handling costs.
Hydroxycut Pros & Cons
Hydroxycut Review: Final Verdict
This product has been on the market for many years in different formulations. Despite its history it still remains a popular supplement for weight loss.
There are many customers who have found this product has helped them lose weight. Likewise there are others that have not been so lucky and have experienced no effects at all.
Then there are the customers that report many side effects.
The bottom line is that weight loss is an ongoing commitment. You have to sign up for the long term change in lifestyle.
It may be that this product can help you. You may be one of the lucky ones who has no side effects apart from weight loss!
We laid out the facts, will you buy Hydroxycut? Comment below and tell us what you think!
Recommended Fat Burners
Read next: Lean Optimizer Review: Does It Really Work?
- Jeukendrup, A. E., and R. Randell. “Fat burners: nutrition supplements that increase fat metabolism.” Obesity reviews 12.10 (2011): 841-851. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00908.x
- Vinson, Joe A., Bryan R. Burnham, and Mysore V. Nagendran. “Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, linear dose, crossover study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a green coffee bean extract in overweight subjects.” Diabetes, metabolic syndrome and obesity: targets and therapy 5 (2012): 21. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3267522/
- Samad, Anuar, Azrina Azlan, and Amin Ismail. “Therapeutic effects of vinegar: a review.” Current Opinion in Food Science 8 (2016): 56-61. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2214799316300479
- Gil, María I., et al. “Antioxidant capacities, phenolic compounds, carotenoids, and vitamin C contents of nectarine, peach, and plum cultivars from California.” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 50.17 (2002): 4976-4982. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf020136b
- Kaboré, Donatien, et al. “A review of baobab (Adansonia digitata) products: effect of processing techniques, medicinal properties and uses.” African Journal of Food Science 5.16 (2011): 833-844. http://www.academicjournals.org/app/webroot/article/article1380100471_Kabore%20et%20al.pdf
- Verma, S. K., Vartika Jain, and S. S. Katewa. “Blood pressure lowering, fibrinolysis enhancing and antioxidant activities of cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum).” (2009). http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/7254
- Westerterp‐Plantenga, Margriet S., Manuela PGM Lejeune, and Eva MR Kovacs. “Body weight loss and weight maintenance in relation to habitual caffeine intake and green tea supplementation.” Obesity research 13.7 (2005): 1195-1204. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1038/oby.2005.142
- McCarty, Mark F. “Pre-exercise administration of yohimbine may enhance the efficacy of exercise training as a fat loss strategy by boosting lipolysis.” Medical hypotheses 58.6 (2002): 491-495. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306987701914598